Friday, October 26, 2012

Great Expectations

Expectations.  They're a lot like potential.  You know the phrase, "you have great potential"; but if you never attempt things beyond your reach, you never tap into your potential.  I feel the same way about expectations.  I'm a firm believer in expecting the best and hoping to be surprised when I realize I couldn't even fathom the best.  

Don't get me wrong; I'm not a pie-in-the-sky kind of person (where did that phrase even come from? - I really need to look that up).  In most everyday things, I'm a realist and fairly practical person.  But when it comes to dreams and possibilities, well, the sky's the limit for me.

All that's to say, this weekend is pretty big for Meschill and me.  Our first real "event" - the Sami Show in the Belton Expo.  We're excited, nervous and tired!  But, I have great expectations.  We love what we do and I know that our reaching out farther will be rewarded. 

I could go all philosophical here, but I'll refrain (for today anyway); instead, I'll just leave you with two quotes from personal favorites.  These more than adequately express my mixture of emotions for this new adventure and the weekend ahead:






"Do we really have to go through [Mirkwod]?" groaned the hobbit. "Yes, you do!" said the wizard, "if you want to get to the other side. You must either go through or give up your quest. There are no safe paths in this part of the world." 
(The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien) 










Alice laughed. "There's no use trying," she said: "one can't believe impossible things." 

"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." 
(Through the Looking Glass, Lewis Carroll) 


deb

PS - did a Google on "pie in the sky"; seems it has a very interesting beginning.  According to this, maybe I really AM a pie in the sky kind of person - at least in the original meaning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment