Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Happy Fall, Y'all

Ahhh, October in Central Texas.  Some days 90 degrees, some days 60 degrees.  But that just means that we are heading for more days in the 60s and I can't wait!  We moved from the High Plains (Lubbock) to Central Texas 28 years ago (!) and I still miss Fall.  Cool, crisp days and even cooler, crisper nights.  Leaves that turn colors.  And chrysanthemums.  Lubbock once claimed the title of Chrysanthemum Capital and the streets and the Tech campus were lined with spectacular mums - the kind that football homecoming mums are made of, not those little ones like we buy at the store now.

Anyway, feeling it was a bit lacking in Fall around here, I worked on adding some to my home.  I wanted to incorporate a bit of "spooky" for a little Halloween feel, but mostly just get some of that luscious fall color going.


I love the way the mantel looks.  The fall arrangement against the turquoise is really something special, don't you think?  The cobweb in the open frame is an old rusty corner architectural piece I bought years ago.  The raven is perched on a recent acquisition from an estate sale.  While looking through some fabric at the sale, I laid it down so I could dig with both hands and another lady picked it up and said "Look! It's the genie's bottle!"  There is definitely a Moroccan or Mediterranean feel to the shape.  I love it.  In the bottom right corner, you can see just a bit of the persimmon branches - another great fall staple from my childhood.







A bit of whimsy with the jack o' lantern made from a gourd.  Found that at an Art Fair quite a while back.  The typewriter was my dad's - he took it to college in 1940 and then to WWII and back.


Got these great ceramic white pumpkins at Hobby Lobby - so many different things can be done with them, but I just went for traditional with a fall garland.  The silver pitcher has a Greek key motif and is another estate sale purchase.

I made the Nest collage this year - covered a 12x12 canvas with burlap, then painted and decoupaged the artwork.  It needed something else and Meschill suggested a twig frame. Brilliant!  I immediately went out in the yard and found just the right branches - complete with lichens and an acorn still attached!  I'd be happy to make another one for anyone who might be interested!

So that's how it's looking around here.  What are you doing for fall color and decor?  What are your favorite fall memories?  I'd love to see and hear!

deb

No comments:

Post a Comment